Tuesday, June 3, 2008

lynx-eyed

I've got an idea for a novel/short story/project. It's something vague, but I'm feeling it.

Largely inspired by John the Baptist,
Showbread, and Janie's "Age of Reptiles Excerpt", which I've printed out and shall now carry in my notebook, alongside the other printed sheets of bliss.

Here's my first shot in the dark.

-------

b13; 03 Victus:::?
Sunrise like a bleeding scab today. I can feel the air more every day. The rocks are speaking.

When I look behind me I see the blood of my feet. The leather was eaten long ago by the sand, and the stones are sharp.

At night I hear them coming, rustling, scraping across the sun-baked floor of this god-forsaken desolation. The rocks tell me they are not far behind. I must keep moving.

This place is truly forsaken by the gods. They dared not follow me into this field of embers. They have sent lesser, fouler beings after me. I can hear them scraping.

Each day they are closer, or louder, or my hearing grows sharper. But the rocks grow quieter.

I can see something on the horizon, but the vitreous air keeps my hope in a cage. Still, there is something. Call me lynx-eyed. Call me Jonas.

6 comments:

. said...

the image is so heavy, i can hold it in my hand and kind of juggle it around. in a good way. if that makes any sense.

anyway, i like it.

Anonymous said...

oh, tres love. showbread references, the name jonas, lynx, the image/colouring.. tres love.

jesse said...

Thanks, both of you.

I've wanted to be named Jonas ever since I read The Giver.

And lynx-eyed is in the dictionary.

Tala Azar said...

Jonas is definitely one of my favourite names. Good choice.

Janie Kamenar said...

out of curiousity, how did you discover it was me on collected lies anyways?

jesse said...

I randomly clicked on your profile on the Showbread forums, recognized your e-mail address (creep alert), and then noticed your website...


...collected lies.

Which, by the way, brings to mind a quote of Puddleglum's, something to the effect of "I'd rather believe in my imaginary world..." &c.